Setting goals is an important part of student development in the Learner Profile platform. In this article, we will guide you through the process of introducing goals to your students and provide step-by-step instructions to help you effectively navigate the platform.
Why Start with Paper-Based Goal Setting
Before diving into the online platform, we recommend starting with paper-based goal setting to encourage students to think deeply about their goals and understand their significance. This approach allows students to reflect, plan, and overcome barriers before translating their goals into the Learner Profile.
"The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium." - Norbet Platt
To illustrate the goal-setting process, let's consider Abdul's goal of improving his physical health.
- Abdul's goal is to drink 1L of water each day for the next 2 weeks.
- Reflection on Barriers/Enablers: Abdul identifies the barrier of not having easy access to water at home and his reluctance to go to the kitchen for a glass of water. This insight helps him understand the challenges he may face and prepares him to overcome them.
- Creating an Action Plan: To address the identified barriers, Abdul creates an action plan that includes buying a water bottle, filling it up before studying, keeping it next to him, and sipping water whenever he loses concentration in his work. This plan helps him build a habit of staying hydrated while studying.
Suggested Steps for Teachers
To facilitate goal setting with your students, we recommend the following steps:
- Print and distribute the provided starter task worksheet:
- The starter task worksheet serves as a paper-based activity to help students get started with thinking about their goals.
- Feel free to edit the worksheet to suit your classroom context.
- Transition from paper-based goal setting to the Learner Profile:
- Once students have completed their goal-setting on paper, guide them in mapping out their goals on the Learner Profile platform by following these steps:
- Schedule a future check-in date:
- Set a date for students to update their progress on the Learner Profile.
- We suggest a check-in period of 1 - 2 weeks.
By following these steps and engaging your students in goal setting, you can effectively utilize the Learner Profile platform and empower your students to achieve their objectives.
We hope this article provides you with valuable insights and practical steps to implement goal setting with your students in the Learner Profile platform. Should you have any further questions or need assistance, please reach out to our customer support team.